Friday, January 11, 2008

Remember When?

So, to make this blog somewhat useful (at least for me), I will be sharing something (a memory...a thought...who knows what!) about my younger self. So that, when memory fails, and it is failing, my kids will understand why their mother is so CRAZY! I should apologize before we begin for the many run on sentences and horrible grammar. Unfortunately my memory is one long run on sentence!

5th Grade - Mrs. Olson - Cherry Hill Elementary School (Mission, B.C.)

Fifth grade was the beginning of the end for my hair. Not only did my mom finally relent and cut me some bangs (a decision that many people would later regret), but this was the last picture I have where my mom did my hair...everything after this was a crap shoot...literally...a crappy photo shoot.

During 5th grade I was coming to terms with being a girl. Sure, I still loved to catch frogs and caterpillars [my brothers and sisters and I caught tons of caterpillars in the cherry tree out front and then had little caterpillar "circuses" (complete with ramps and obstacle courses) until one day when they all disappeared...hmm...Mom?] and I was delighted when my best friend, Carla, found a newt on the way to school, but it was the beginning of my lifelong love for "Anne of Green Gables" and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". What could be more girly than that?

I started babysitting in 5th grade. My sister, Natalie, and I babysat for a family with 3 kids (2 toddlers and a baby). One Saturday we watched the kids for 10 hours and earned $15! Wow! We were raking it in. What is that...like 75 cents, each, an hour? I was 10 years old and Natalie was 9! What were the parents thinking?

So until next time...

7 comments:

*katie said...

Okay, so cute! I had bangs all growing up and in my 5th grade picture I begged my mom to put them back. So I had a french braid and extremely hair sprayed down bangs.

And I love "Anne of Green Gables" and I just watched "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" 2 days ago!

*katie said...

p.s. I love your new blog look!

ferntyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ferntyler said...

I LOVE this new feature. I have to look for some old pictures and see if I can't conjure up any old memories. That is totally the brightening that my day needed! So the bug collecting is clearly a family trait at this point, and I'm sure that you and Natalie probably actually played with the kids and had the house cleaned up when the parents came home, they got their money's worth.

RocketBox Boy said...

I think that is the curliest your hair has ever been, oh wait where is the crimped hair picture that looks like we are sisters to the dog. Classic. Cute blog background.

Halvos said...

Sunshine! I love that picture! Too funny. Ok, I had to laugh when I saw you commented on my blog because over the holidays I totally thought of you as I made 'Chex Muddy Buddies' for the first time in my life (sad I know!) I remember the first time I ever had it was at your house and you and Natalie kept telling me it was Dog Food! lol..oh, I miss the days of hanging out at the Brady's and hearing our moms LOUD laughter on the other side of the house! :)

Wild Wilsons said...

I love it. This brings back so many memories. I wish I had as good of a memory as you. Thanks for sharing it. It was good hair and babysitting with you was good times. I miss Tawnie too but I do think you were her favorite. She never looked at me that way.
Love ya,
Nat